Box making - Final part

As promised here is the final part of my box making tutorial.


I did not have enough fabric to make it exactly the same as in the previous post because I did not have enough of the roses fabric left but I think it looks nice in the checked fabric.
If this is your first box making I need to give a little tip here, don't use checked fabric as it is a little fiddly to line up straight!

Continuing from last week in the previous post:

Place the finished box onto some card and measure 1cm over the edge of each of three sides, on the back of the box just line that up to the edge of the box, you do not need a 1 cm edge on this side. You should have three sides that extend by 1cm.
This is the back view of the box, cut a piece of card that extends 1cm at each side (the right and the left) and the height of the card should be the   
   height of the box, this will become clear in the next few photo's.  

You should now have three pieces of card cut like this, leave a space of about 4mm or 5mm between the card, this is very important, if this space is not created the box will not close properly - I learnt from experience!  
Lay the card onto fabric like this, leaving about 1cm to 1.5cm of fabric to overlap.
Draw a pencil line about 1cm inside the edge.
Place glue on this line, do not place the glue at the edge of the cardboard as it will show through on the finished box. 
Cut the corners of the fabric.

Fold over the fabric and press down.
Try to make the corners as neat as possible because each of these corners will be seen on the finished box.

Your card and fabric should now look like this.
 Place the box onto the card, lining up the back just a couple of millimetres away from the edge and check that everything is even.
Turn the box upside down and put the glue on like this.

Glue together and press down onto the base of the box to make sure it is glued down.

The hinge on the box should look like this.
Your box should now look like this. 
I like to show lots of photo's!   
I have gathered all of my stitched items ready to finish the box.
Cut a strip of material wide enough to turn under 1 cm on each edge, left and right, use ligtweight or medium weight iron on interfacing to fuse to the back of the fabric, this will support the fabric and add strength th the hinge.
Glue the reverse of the fabric and attach as shown.

Measure the inside of the box lid and cut out of lightweight cardboard a couple of millimetres smaller around each side, you can use cereal packets for this.
Place the cardboard onto fabric and cut the corners like this.
Glue the edge of the cardboard, fold over the fabric and attach to the box lid as shown.
 
You are now ready to line the inside of the box.
Cut pieces of thin cardboard slightly smaller than each side and cover with fabric, fold over at the top and the bottom but leave the sides to overlap at the corners - see next photo.
Glue to the inside of the box like this.
It is easier to cover the bottom inside of the box first, although I did this last it was a bit fiddly!
Put a thin line of glue around the inside edge of the box.  
Use cord to trim the inside  
Push the end of the cord inside the top of the box and place a little bit of glue just inside the hole.
Put a thin line of glue around the edge of the box and attach the cord, finish off at the other side in the same way  
Your box should now look like this.

The reverse of the cross stitch can be laced or glued.  
Attach the embroidery to the box with glue and trim with cord and a charm.

I designed and stitched this strawberry pin cushion to match the box, it is made from silk dupion and trimmed with little white Mill Hill beads and spider web roses.
There is now a tutorial for the strawberry showing how to make the cord trim using DMC thread here 

Enjoy!

16 comments

Wagapapa said...

Thanks a lot for the tutorial!

barbara r-g said...

i made my first box last week quite a bit different from yours, but it did turn out ok. yours is perfect, i love all the finishing touches and hope to make one like yours and now i can. thank you for the tutorial it is a great help. your stitching is beautiful.

МамаФиалка said...

Thanks a lot for the tutorial
Спасибо это очень красиво!

SaraCreations said...

Thank you for this amazing tutorial!

♥ Nia said...

Great tutorial! Thank you!! :D

Ineke Original said...

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

Linda said...

Awesome!! I think I am going to have to try that!!

Maria said...

It's beautifull! Mpravo!!!!
http://puntodecruz4u.blogspot.com/

Steph said...

I would just like to say that I absolutely love your box and I am sooo tempted to have a go at making one. I'm just wondering what type of cardboard you used to make the shell of the box? Not sure if you need my email, but its: stephrogers85 at yahoo dot co dot uk

Bakterno said...

Thak you very much!

Daniela said...

Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. I just finished a small project that I want to mount into a box lid.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial, it was easy to follow and the many pics really helped. I just finished my first box and ...well... I have to practice xD.
Covered Box

SaraCreations said...

great tutorial! Thank you very much!!!

Tita Fernandez said...

Hermoso tutorial.
Muchas gracias!!

Heather M. said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial! I'm looking forward to making one of my own, and I'll send you pics. I'm wondering, how long does it take you to complete one box?

Laura said...

It's very useful information. I was thinking what is better to buy half ready box or to make myself. But it's looks not very difficul to make myself.I think just need time and imagination. Thank's for sharing ideas!

Click image to see my cross stitching blog

Popular Posts

Blogger Template Created by pipdig